aston villa squad 1998

aston villa squad 1998

Detailed.
Read about Derby v Aston Villa in the Premier League 1998/99 season, including lineups, stats and live blogs, on the official website of the Premier League. Can you name Aston Villa’s top 20 scorers in Premier League history?But it wasn’t to last, and a dreadful second half of the season saw Villa fall like a stone to sixth.Sir Alex Ferguson has spoken at length about the importance of those years as TV revenue rocketed, and once wrote he had always assumed Villa would come through as United’s and Arsenal’s main challengers.Whatever the reasons for Villa’s collapse and whatever your opinion of the era – a near miss just as the super-clubs were established, or the expected norm for a club of Villa’s size – the day Villa came back from two goals down against the champions, and in front of the Holte End, will never be forgotten.“I think we might have had one or two injuries that didn’t help the cause, but I think we lost a couple of games and confidence went,” Taylor says.

King of the Match explained and statistics Kevin Harper

But we never thought about actually winning the league.Ian Taylor, a lifelong Villa fan and key member of the Villa squad between 1994 and 2003, recalls the period fondly – but shares none of my wistful sense of a missed opportunity.“We were 2-0 down at half-time – and shell-shocked – and went into the changing rooms when it came through that there had been an accident.“We had to stay in the changing room [for longer than the usual 15 minutes], but it gave us more time to focus on the second half and probably gave Arsenal too much time to think about being 2-0 up.Nevertheless, the 3-2 victory against Arsenal was clearly a watershed moment, not just for fans such as myself but within the dressing room.Villa had spent much of the season up to that point leading the way but had taken only two points from four games and then fell 2-0 behind to Arsenal at Villa Park.But Villa slipped at just the moment when the gates to England’s elite were wide open, and since super-inflation on this scale will never happen again, it is a near miss that feels particularly painful.Taylor believes the accident may have had an impact on the match result.Such optimism proved futile in the end, of course – a run of 10 matches without a win saw the club plummet down to sixth – but for a while it seemed as though Villa might just become one of England’s elite clubs.Manchester United had leapfrogged John Gregory’s side at the summit with a 2-2 draw at Tottenham the previous day, and it looked as though perhaps the Villans’ fine run was over.“It’s one of those old clichés, but you just took each game as it came and thought, ‘we’ll win this one and then look at the next game.’”“Those days we were always top six or flirting around the top, and that’s where we expected to be throughout my career.”

Fixtures Social Detailed.

Strategy Aston Villa's John Carew celebrates .

Home

Current transfer record: $-170.61m. Squad of Aston Villa .

“I remember it was Christmas time and quite cold, and Santa was due to parachute in at half-time, which went wrong unfortunately.“It was such an exciting time – I couldn’t remember the last time a Villa team had gone top of the league, and we were playing really well,” he says.I have watched Dublin’s winner against Arsenal back a thousand times. Igor Stimac Aston Villa.

#WeAreOneTeam

Managers

Liverpool Vs Norwich City Score Prediction, Soledad O Brien Huckabee, Nfl Network Customer Service Phone Number, Discount Websites Like Overstock, Aston Villa Vs Sheffield United 0-0, Brunswick Boat Group Stock, Nike Supply Chain 2020, Is Adorama Legit, Women's Dress Sandals, Nike Just Do It Png White, MONSOON Summer Dresses, Np Singh Net Worth 2020, Mohamed Hadid Net Worth, How Old Is Morgan From Cheer, Philip Ziegler, Red Eye Lyrics, Songs Played At College Football Games, Western Suburbs Melbourne Map, Jade Cheer #netflix, Gas Monkey T-shirts Tesco, World Richest Country 2020, Workday Gartner Login, North West Melbourne Suburbs, Personality In Psychology, Ollie Wines Injury, Sony Global Home, My Cancer Journey Blog, Mens Shorts Clearance Uk, Masterclass Share Account, Nick Lowe Jesus Of Cool Vinyl, Is Roundup Safe To Use Around Dogs, The Cannon Run Cost, Hip Hop Clothing Online, Fashion Brand Description Examples, Port Mall Shops, Business Etiquette In Brazil, Cold Night Quotes, The Legend Of Zelda Four Swords Anniversary Edition Rom, Used Unlocked Cell Phones For Sale, How To Find Facility Code Hid Card, Saxe-coburg Family Tree, Norwich V Liverpool Tips, Ryan Martin O'connor Age, Haworthia Succulent Types, Sylvester, Ga Breaking News, Google Fiber Austin Internet Providers, Ladies Watches Sale, Contra Game Online, Perfume Samples Subscription, Burnley Score, Is Dave Edmunds Married, Biryanis And More Ameerpet Central East Hyderabad, Frederick Douglass On John Brown, Pinehurst Replay Rates, American Express Golf Tickets, Sunday Night Football Announcers 2020, Marais Des Cygnes Valley High School, Neo Impressionism Paintings, Nf18acv Specs, Buy Pull And Bear Online, Nextpay Merchant Services, Brescia Login, Indy Eleven Roster, Alexander Soros Age, Manischewitz Matzo Meal, Crawling From The Wreckage Chords, What Time Does Shabbat End Today, Oil On Water Expression, Flamethrower For Sale Amazon, Taliaferro County Land For Sale, Ganondorf Vs Ganon, Scratch And Dent Appliances, Emergency Broadcast System Test Today, Best Modem Router For Optus Nbn, Plasma Surface Disinfectant, Call Barging Meaning In Tamil, Games Workshop Stock News, Stephen Sackur Height, Seated Woman (jacqueline), Atr Machine Learning Core Algorithm, Best Online Sales Right Now,